Longleat House
The magnificent home of the Marquis of Bath, this Elizabethan house was built for Sir John Thynne. The inside is richly decorated with Italian ceilings, Flemish tapestries, beautiful furniture, and rare and priceless books. Plus Lord Bath's murals. The grounds were re-modelled by Lancelot "Capability" Brown in 1757.

Phillipps House
Standing in a slightly elevated position within the trees of Dinton Park, the house was designed for the Wyndham family by Sir Jeffrey Wyattville in 1816. A great Ionic portico is its greatest feature and there is a grand staircase in the hall. Owned and maintained by the National Trust.

Built in 1722 by Colen Campbell for the banker Henry Hoare, whose son, also called Henry, set out the pleasure gardens in the 1740s. The house contains works of art and furniture designed by Thomas Chippendale the younger. In the hands of the National Trust.

Wilton House
Completed in 1653 and designed by Inigo Jones, Wilton House is the home of the Earl of Pembroke. The Double Cube room has magnificent Van Dyck paintings. Other works of art here include those of Rubens, Holbein and Rembrandt. In the grounds is a Palladian Bridge built in 1736.