Alfred's Tower
Completed in 1772 by Henry Flitcroft, on the instructions of Henry Hoare of Stourhead, this triangular tower built of brick, stands on Kingsettle Hill, marking the spot where King Alfred the Great raised his standard against the invading Danes in 878. An inscription lists Alfred's many attributes. Well worth the climb to the top to see the extensive views for miles around.


Breadstones
Set in the wall of the churchyard at Great Wishford, these inscribed stones record the price of bread (by the gallon loaf) from 1800 onwards.


Corton Wall Painting
A rider on horseback, brandishing a sword, painted on the exterior brickwork of a chimney stack at White Horse House, Corton, in the Wylye Valley.


Cromwell's Yew
On the parish boundary between Bishopstrow and Norton Bavant, beside the B3414, this tree is the subject of conflicting folklore concerning Oliver Cromwell having breakfasted in its shade after the Battle of Roundway Down (1643) or the Battle of Newbury (1644). The latter seems more likely. Fairies have also been "seen" dancing around the tree.


East Knoyle Windmill
Disused tower mill, without sails, on a circular base, once owned and occupied by Henry Seymour and William Perry. Ceased working prior to 1900. Good views from here over the Blackmoor Vale. Large grass area suitable for those who wish to picnic, and there is an inn, the Fox and Hounds, nearby at the Green.


Fovant Badges
Badges carved in the chalk hillside by troops during the First World War. Includes the Australian Imperial Force, the Devonshire Regiment, 6th City of London Regiment, the London Rifle Brigade, the Post Office Rifles, the Royal Corps of Signals, the Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry, the Wiltshire Regiment, and the Young Men's Christian Association. Visible from the A30 road.


Shrewton Lock-Up
17th/18th century lock-up (sometimes called a blind house), this little building served as an overnight prison for local offenders awaiting removal to Sarum (Salisbury) gaol.


Westbury White Horse
Chalk carving in the hillside, measuring 182 feet in length and 108 feet high, made in 1778, replacing a former steed. Commemorates King Alfred's victory over the Danes at nearby Ethandun in 878. Good views from here and a favourite place for hang- gliders. Bratton Castle earthworks (Iron Age hill fort) on the summit and a large grass area for picnics and leisure activities including hang-gliding.